Saturday, January 26, 2008

Brueggemann on Isaiah

Isaiah calls upon us to attest to both the grandeur of God in compassionate sovereignty and the pastoral reality of being God's people who are mandated to be unafraid in the world (as in 43:1), because the world belongs to the God who is doing a new thing (43:18-19). May the book of Isaiah empower us to be unafraid of our calling.

Brueggemann, Walter - 'Isaiah' in The Spiritual Formation Bible, London: Harper Collins: 2005:984

I dip into Isaiah quite frquently. Sovereignty, Kingdom, Justice, Compassion and Grace all in one place. Fantastic.

1 comment:

Mitchenstein said...

Hey Stephen!

Thought I'd just say hi - I thought of you the other day because I was in Clapton, and I remembered you and Lynley being sent there to do meetings (and I wrote about it on my blog - me being there, that is, not you and Lynley doing meetings there... I wasn't there).

Hope everything's going well for you all! Things are fine back home - on Sunday we had the debut 'performance' of our new wind band (three flutes, an oboe, two clarinets, a trumpet, a euphonium and a bass), not bad, eh?

Take care and God bless,

John :)