Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Serial Disconnects

Last week we had the privilege of conducting a funeral for a lady who I didn't know, and who was only known to a couple of members of the church. The family, none of whom are church attenders, and half of whom aren't speaking to the other half, wanted me to make some personal comments about the lady all the same, so I visited, listened, made notes and included some appropriate remarks in my message. For all of that I am still left with a feeling that I completely failed to make any connection.

This week has been an interesting week (and it's only Wednesday) in which I have met some interesting people. Three encounters one after the other have given me lots to think about.

Firstly, a lady came in wanting our help in getting rehoused. We had a long conversation in which I tried to explain that all I could do was make some phone calls on her behalf, but she wouldn't give me any details once I went to get a notebook. As always, there was another side of her story that she wasn't prepared to share with me. After a while she thanked me and left, maybe a little less aggressive than she arrived. I'm not sure what was achieved.

As she left, one of our "regulars" came in and before I had even held out my hand he was telling me about his anxiety. He attends worship occasionally, but struggles with all kinds of mental health problems. We have tried to befriend him, but every conversation starts and ends the same. After a while he left. I'm not sure what was achieved.

A short while later another lady came in - a mature student from overseas looking for a church. I spent some time talking to her, praying with her, trying to make sense of her faltering English, hoping she would make be able to make some sense of me. I wasn't sure what was achieved...

...until the following day the lady came to Alpha.

I constantly try to encourage all our staff and volunteers to go the extra mile in trying to make Jesus known to everyone that we encounter, but in a day of conversations with people needing help how have I managed to do that? In a period of one disconnect after another I am thinking that it's no use trying to be a signpost to the Kingdom if people don't even recognise a signpost when they see one.

I'm not sure what was achieved, but I am thankful that God sent these people our way, and I think He will find a way to overcome my failures to connect.

No comments: