Monday, October 22, 2007

Officers' Councils

Last week we attended our first officers' councils at Swanick. A really good and positive experience when God came very close. Being so new to officership I really valued the time to reflect on our experience so far, the appointment itself, and being able to share with Lynley in praying for God's vision and wisdom here.

Bible studies focused on 2 Peter 1. A key challenge for me was to consider how up front I am about Jesus in our everyday missional activities. I have a very broad understanding of mission, and tend to focus on encouraging people to be signposts for the Kingdom in all the various activities we do. I still think that is the right thing, but I have been challenged to be more vocal about Jesus and the Hope we have in Him.

I would hope that Jesus is already up front and centre in all that I, and the church here at Failsworth, do - but maybe sometimes we assume that people already know why we are active in serving our community, or perhaps we are waiting for them to ask the questions that Kingdom activity will provoke. Maybe, we need to be more upfront with the gospel and speak without waiting for the questions.

Back in the office this week, and a busy week to come, but my prayer is that we're going to have meaningful conversations with Jesus this week.

God is good.

1 comment:

Mitchenstein said...

Hey Stephen!

Hope you're all doing well - and glad you're back!

I've been waiting... ;)

Take care,

John